July 13, 2021 | Comments by Brian Shilhavy | healthimpactnews.com |
“The vast majority of the American population is completely ignorant about the United States militarized industrial corporate food system that feeds most of the population, and is used to topple governments worldwide. Less than 1% of our population is involved in agriculture today feeding the other 99%+ of our population, and very few people even know this, even in the alternative media.
For example, this is what one person in the alternative media wrote recently:
A food war is brewing and American farmers and ranchers are on the front lines. Family owned farms are the backbone of America. Ninety-eight percent of U.S. farms are operated by families. Eighty-six percent of all U.S. agricultural products are produced on family farms or ranches. In 2018, about $140 billion worth of agricultural products were exported to the world, making the U.S. a top food exporter. Their blood, sweat, and tears bring food to tables across America and the world.
I seriously doubt that the person who wrote this even knew that they were parroting corporate talking points to present a wholesome image of American agriculture. Because the truth is that these “family farms” are just a handful of corporate billionaires who control the world’s food supplies and can weaponize it at any time, by creating “food shortages.”
These “family farms” are corporate mega-businesses dependent on cheap migrant labor, most of them here illegally to keep the U.S. food system propped up, and the only thing “family” about them is that the stockholders are all family members.
If this is a topic you are not well informed about, it is high time you wised up about just where your food actually comes from. If you have not read it yet, you need to read the article by Sam Parker we recently published here, which is the first time I have ever read such an exhaustive exposé that names names on just who controls the world’s food supplies:
Most Americans have absolutely no clue where their food comes from, and are totally dependent on the commodity-based food system that fills the shelves of America’s grocery chains. As a result, Americans spend the lowest percentage of their income on food than any other nation in the world.
The primary reason for this is because people living in the United States do not pay the true cost of their food. U.S. government policies subsidize food costs with taxpayer funds to keep prices artificially low, which also allows them to export much of their food around the world to countries who cannot afford to subsidize their food, and therefore make it more affordable to purchase mass-produced food imported from the U.S. rather than locally produced food from their own country.
When we invaded Iraq in the 1990s, for example, one of the first things we did was take over their agricultural system by replacing their locally produced food with GMO crops dependent upon U.S. seed companies like Monsanto. Here is an article we published back in 2011 that highlights this (some of the links may no longer work):
However, there is a “food resistance” movement within the U.S., and I have been a big part of that for the past 20 years, working on developing traditional food systems by small-scale producers who produce food the correct way, without government subsidies.
It isn’t easy, as not only is it labor intensive, one has to constantly fight against the militarized corporate industrial food system that is out to squash the small guys like us.
Much of the food we sell from our online store Healthy Traditions, for example, is produced by Amish farming communities in Wisconsin. There are also places in the Northeast where one can become part of a local food co-op or buyer’s club to invest in small-scale farms, many of whom are operated by Amish.
And just because these operations produce food from small-scale producers, mostly families, that does not mean that the operation cannot be “scaled.” It most certainly can, by adding more families and small farmers, and thus creating more jobs.
These operations are under constant attack by regulatory government agencies like the USDA, who hide behind the “Food Safety” topic to try and convince the public that the food coming from these operations is not “safe” because they bypass a lot of the regulatory systems that are designed for commercial operations where mass-produced commodity food is inherently unsafe.”